Friday, July 1, 2011

What a way to start a vacation!

My husband and I both have taken next week off for vacation. It's more like "home repaircation" but we won't be at work. (I love my job, but we all need a break sometimes.) We have some necessary repairs to do, and I want to get caught up on general house and yard work that has been neglected lately.

Last night, though, I was on my way to a friend's art show. I couldn't find the right place (majorly important reason why businesses should UPDATE THEIR WEBSITE when they move!) and when I tried to back out of the parking space and drive on, I could hardly turn the steering wheel. It was all I could do to get back into a space (good thing almost all the stores were closed; that was a bad parking job). I called my husband and told him what I knew: my car wouldn't go.

I am so happy with the age difference between our girls. He was able to leave Sophie at home in the care of her sister. She took great care of Sophie - fed her dinner, gave her a bath, and got her all ready for bed while he came to help me.

I tried finding the shop for the art show by walking, but wasn't successful. I did find a fast-food restaurant and waited for my husband there, enjoying their air conditioning and iced tea. As soon as my husband arrived he could tell what was wrong with my car - a belt had broken and could be seen hanging down. He called a tow truck, but of course all the repair shops were closed. We left it at one we'd been to before, finally did the grocery shopping I had planned after the art show, and went home.

This morning, we were at the repair shop bright and early. They replaced the belt, but discovered the problem with my air conditioner was causing it. I can't explain what exactly it is, but it's not good and explains why my air conditioner hasn't been working properly lately. It would be $1200 to fix that problem, but they thought that if I just didn't turn it on, it might be ok.

It wasn't.

When they were backing it out of the repair bay for me to go to work, it broke again! Thank goodness there is a nice older man working there, and he came up with a solution. He had a parts store bring a shorter belt, and they put it on so that it bypassed the bad part of the air conditioner thingy. Finally, after four hours total, I was on my way to work.

Luckily, I had a great afternoon at work, and we are now officially on vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment