Sunday, July 24, 2011

Missing from our local news - why?

A few days ago, I was surprised to read on Perez Hilton about a visitor at Dollywood being asked to turn her "Marriage is so gay" t-shirt inside out in order to gain entry into the park. Surely it would have been on our local news since Dollywood IS local. I first thought it was a fake story, like the ones posted from The Onion or Notsville. But no, it was actually real.

Of course Dolly herself had nothing to do with the incident, since her concert here was over and she was off to another state. The general consensus also is that she would NOT approve. A PR person for the park says it was a misunderstanding, and the employee was following the park's strict dress code policy and not targeting a specific group, but really? Is the shirt that bad? Offensive? I've been going to Dollywood since I was a small child and have never seen anyone's clothing considered at the gates. I haven't been in a few years, though - maybe it's a new policy?

I am really surprised that none of our local news stations or newspaper have mentioned this story. There was lots of live coverage of Dolly's concert last week - surely this was newsworthy also?

I can't help but wonder about the media silence about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment