Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dye for you

On our Mom-Daughter Date, Emma and I stopped by Sally Beauty Supply. She's been wanting to put pink streaks in her hair for a while, with Kool-aid. I know people do that, but I just can't get used to the idea of using powdered drink mix for  hair coloring. Too many unknowns for me! One of the  hospital employees has multicolored hair, though, and I talked with her one day and she advised me about what to use for Emma and where to get it.

As we were walking up to the shopping center (it was near the ice cream shop) I asked her if she still wanted to do the pink streaks. She did, so we found the pink coloring. It is semi-permanent, which means it should last 4-6 weeks. Perfect for summer vacation!
s
This is what we used.
Tonight, we tried it out. One big thing we did NOT do according to the directions, though, was to bleach her hair first. That's just a little too permanent for my liking, and too damaging to her hair. I had bought a small highlighting brush also, and we got started after I got home from work.

First, I put a shower cap on her head, marked her part line with a Sharpie, and marked all the spots she wanted the highlights with the marker. Then I cut holes where we marked, and put the cap back on her. I pulled sections of hair through the holes, then laid each section on a strip of aluminum foil and "painted" the hair with the color. When each section was coated, I folded the foil over the hair and folded it up out of the way. I did seven sections total.

The instructions said to leave the coloring on 10-20 minutes. Since I had taken several minutes to do all seven sections, I split the difference and set the timer for 15 minutes. When the timer went off, I unwrapped each section, removed the shower cap, and rinsed her hair.

She's hoping it changes when her hair is dry, but right now we can barely see the pink, and that is only in bright light! I warned her in advance it wouldn't be so bright because we didn't bleach first. I was right - it didn't take so well on normal hair.

She's happy, though, and that was my goal. She is getting to experiment with her hair and get it out of her system now, instead of surprising us one day after a visit with a friend and really messing up her hair.

If I can get the pink to show up in a picture, I'll add one later.

1 comment:

  1. Even though it didn't produced her desired effect, it's probably a nice way to ease into pink. If you had bleached and she didn't like it, where would you go? Re-dye.

    My kids haven't asked for pink hair, yet, but I know the day is fast approaching.

    Thanks for sharing. My motto for today might just be, Ease into Pink.

    ReplyDelete