Sunday, September 11, 2011

Breakfast experimenting

This weekend, I did some experimenting for breakfast.

Yesterday morning, I started out making biscuits. I use Bisquick and follow the recipe on the box. Nice and easy. I also wanted eggs, but we only had a few left. I had an idea, though.

I rolled out the biscuits and baked them. As they were baking, I scrambled the eggs and cooked some bacon. Well, I microwaved some bacon, anyway. After the biscuits were done, I cut some in half. Then I put a spoonful of eggs, a strip of bacon broken in half, and topped with some cheddar cheese. I put the top of the biscuit back on, and put them back in the oven for a few more minutes on a lower temperature until the cheese melted.

It was a success! Everyone loved them. Now Emma wants me to replicate her favorite from McDonald's, a McGriddle.

This morning, I wasn't sure what to make. I didn't want biscuits again, but we were out of eggs so no omelets or pancakes. Emma wanted cinnamon rolls, but we didn't have any of those either. So I turned to Google. I found a recipe for cinnamon rolls using biscuit dough. Score!

I made the dough as usual, and put on a floured surface. No kneading here, though. I pat it out into a rectangle, and brushed it with melted butter. The actual recipe said to use heavy cream here, but I don't have any of that. The cinnamon mix is 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp nutmeg mixed together. I sprinkled that all over the dough, and rolled it up. This is where it got difficult. The dough was so soft! I think I will knead next time, after all. As I cut slices off for the individual rolls, they fell all over the place. It made nine rolls, and I baked at 350 for 20 minutes. The icing consisted of 6 tbsp powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, and 4-6 tsp milk. I used 5 tsp and the leftover melted butter, which was about a teaspoon. It didn't make quite enough, I thought. We could have used more. The rolls tasted good, but weren't as gooey as cinnamon rolls usually are.

No pictures; neither breakfast lasted long enough! I am sure I'll make both again, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment