Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sleeping with a toddler

Last night, my husband was out of town, so the girls and I had a girls' night in. I brought home pizza, and we watched Sunday's Army Wives (Em and I love the show so much), then she watched Pretty Little Liars (ugh) and a new show, The Nine Lives of Chloe King (she liked it, to me it seemed like a not-as-good Buffy wannabe). We ended the night with the season premiere of Gene Simmons Family Jewels. Side note: THAT was a great episode. Very intense and real. Also Gene and Shannon were both live-tweeting about the episode during the airing. I love their relationship and that with their kids and hope this has a happy ending.

Sophie didn't last very long, though, and passed out in my lap shortly after dinner. She was still fully dressed, no overnight diaper of course, no bath, and no allergy medicine. I finally gave up and put her in her crib, just like she was. No way am I going to wake a sleeping baby for something like pjs!

Of course she woke up shortly before midnight, as Em and I were going to bed. I changed her then, and brought her back to my bed, thinking she'd nurse a little, go to sleep, and I'd put her back in her crib. I was so excited to finally sleep in the center of the bed instead of on the edge! (Oh the exciting life, right?)

This is what happened instead: She tricked me into thinking she was going to sleep. Instead, she sat up and giggled and tickled my belly button. So I snuggled her in next to me with her Bunny, and promptly fell asleep myself. Thankfully she must have soon after, but ended up laying perpendicularly on the bed with her feet near me and her head near the other edge. No clue how that happened, I was asleep!

I do remember waking up at one point and noticing how she was sleeping. Her legs were cold so I covered them, and she cried and kicked the blanket off. I rolled over to my other side, my back to her feet, but that didn't make her happy, either. She put both feet in my back and started pushing. Push-push-push-push until I almost fell of the bed! So I rolled back over. She was fine again. Guess I have to be looking at her even if I'm asleep. And I still spent the night on the edge of the mattress.

When the alarm went off, seemingly five minutes after I fell asleep again (isn't that how it usually goes?), she didn't budge. Ever tried climbing over a sleeping little one to turn off an alarm clock? I thought she was still asleep, since she didn't move, but when my husband called to make sure I was awake she rolled over and looked at me as if to say "Do you mind?!"

I made myself get up and get ready for work, and the little stinker slept until 8:45.

Tonight, if she wakes up like that again, I'm making myself stay awake to put her back in her own bed! *yawn*

1 comment:

  1. Yet the picture melts my heart. My six-year-old still comes into our bed almost every night. Luckily for us, she's a sound sleeper and doesn't move. And when my husband travels, all my girls sleep in my room in various spots (not all on the bed thankfully!). It's special. I know it won't last forever, so I don't fight it. Thanks for sharing your post and the sweet picture!

    ReplyDelete