Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 19 - Forbidden territory

What are the two things that we grow up instructed never to discuss in public? Religion and politics. Guess what today's topic is: Day 19 → What do you think of religion? Or what do you think of politics?

So here goes....

Religion: I have struggled the past 14 years, trying to figure out what exactly I thought of religion and how it all fit together. I finally came to this conclusion: Everyone wins.

First, let's get this out of the way: I am a Christian, and follow those beliefs. But I recognize that there are many other religions in this world. I wondered when I was a girl about them - obviously the followers of those religions all feel just as strongly that they are "right," just as Christians do. So, who IS right?

Since religion deals with souls and the spiritual plane, and not physical bodies, we aren't limited to a physical place for Heaven, Paradise, Nirvana, or whatever the final destination is called. So, why can't there be more than one? In the end, we go where we think we are going.


Politics: No one wins. I hate election years. I don't agree with either party 100%, and actually I agree with right about halfway with each side, depending on the issue. It's basically a 50-50 split. When it's election time, I check out each candidate and research their voting history. I stress about who is telling anything resembling the truth. I vote. Then I let go - because we are a large enough country that even if the candidate I chose turns out to be a typical politician I can realize that it's not all my fault. I am not enough of a voice all by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment