Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 13 - The music in me

Here is the actual prompt for Day 13: Day 13 → A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough ass days. (write a letter.)

I'm not going to write them a letter. Yes, I'm a daring rebel like that.

A few come to mind, though, not just one. When I was in high school, in the teenage drama/no-one-understands-me phase we all go through, R.E.M. was IT for me. I loved the music, the words, the melodies, Michael Stipe's voice... I still love their music actually. But back then, it resonated with me. It was amazing to me that a super-famous band from Athens, GA could reach through my radio and find me, a teenage girl in Small Town, TN and make me feel like I wasn't alone. Their music spun a web around me, reaching through my ears into my head and entwining with my thoughts.

Then there is No Doubt. Remember their Tragic Kindgom album? Gwen Stefani wrote the songs after breaking up with her bandmate and longtime boyfriend. Guess what happened my first year of college? Big breakup, out of nowhere. The song "Don't Speak" came on my radio on my way back to my dorm. I liked the song anyway, but it really hit home that night. Gwen and I both got over our respective breakups and soon found our husbands, but her songs helped both of us through at the time. There were times I had to turn off the music because it would make me cry again, but that was ok. I got the message, Gwen. We were stronger than that and are better now than we've ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment