Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 17 - A story of food

Day 17 → A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.

A couple years ago I bought a book by an author that I already liked very much. I had read several of her books and loved every one. So I had no worries about this new book I found.




I loved this book, too. But it was different. Instead of getting lost in a story of fictional characters, I was lost in the story of the author's family's move across the country, making a home out of the old house, and the change to local foods. I had never considered the journey  my food made to reach me, how much was involved in the transport, the packaging, the fact that produce had already been picked for several days before I bought it, making my window of use very tiny (explaining why I had to throw out so many things). I became more interested in growing my own vegetables (although I have yet to be successful with this), composting, and buying local produce. I am not to the point of raising chickens or cows; that is a line I am not willing to cross, but I am more aware of what I eat and how it gets to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment