Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 18 - Live and let live

Day 18 → Your views on gay marriage

This one won't be popular with my conservative friends and family, but I won't apologize for it at all. I feel very strongly about this one.

If two people love each other and want to get married, let them!

I do not buy this whole "protect the sanctity of marriage" BS that gets gay marriage opponants all riled up. What about people who commit adultry? What about people who marry and divorce?

What about The Bachelor and The Bachelorette? Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire? No one complains about these shows tarnishing marriage. And how in the world does the fact that two men or two women get married affect MY marriage at all?

This stupid, illogical argument drives me insane.

Then there is the religious arguement. I may step on some toes here, but so be it. I am a Christian and was raised in church, and take my girls most Sundays. But - not everyone is. Many conservatives are concerned about protecting freedom of religion, as long as it's their own religion. But there are many. Also, marriage in our country is a legal contract, not a religious contract. Sure, people get married in the church. But they must get a document from the courthouse legalizing their marriage. People get married outdoors, at City Hall, while falling out of airplanes. Religious leaders perform marriages, but so do judges. Christianity does not have a monopoly on marriage.

So my ultimate view on gay marriage?

Live and let live. There are way more important things to put energy into.

No comments:

Post a Comment