Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 14 - Insert cheesy "hero" song here

Day 14 → A hero that has let you down. (letter)

This one wasn't quite so simple. I couldn't think of anyone at first. Then I remembered. It's not quite the same, but I did look up to this person for a long time. I won't name anyone, because we are related. I thought she was fabulous, though - very smart, had it all together, and nothing was going to stop her. We became adults and our lives were very different, but I still looked up to her.

Then, the phenomenon of social media exploded.

I was following her on Twitter, and finally just had to stop. I can respect that we have different views on many things, but some of her tweets just appalled me. Where did this person come from? She berated and belittled anyone who supported the opposing political side. When she used a dozen or so tweets making fun of someone on her Facebook page who didn't agree with a comment she made, just endlessly belittling his hometown, his job, his education, that was it for me.

So, I painfully clicked the "unfollow" button.

That may not seem like a big deal to you, but it was to me. You see, I've grown up nowhere near my relatives. Don't get me wrong, I loved my life, but the few times I got to be around my aunts, uncles, and cousins I was thrilled and embraced those times. I envied the close relationships that many of them had, so social media was an incredibly easy way to keep in touch with them. As much as I care about my relatives, though, I can only take so much negativity and hate.

I noticed later that she either unfollowed me, or deleted her account all together. I hope she didn't take it personally - I missed hearing about her life, but the political venom was just too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment