Monday, December 12, 2011

Regret

Monday, December 12: What gift do you regret losing?

After a minute's thought, this one was easy. The gift wasn't a Christmas gift, but a family heirloom handed down to me. One of my great-aunts died when I was probably close to Emma's age. My great-uncle, going through her things, found two identical diamond rings. They were solitaires, in gold bands with beautiful white gold sections on either side of the stone that could be replaced with more diamonds if desired. He did not know how she had two rings, but since at the time there were only two girls in the family he gave us each one of them.

My freshman year of college, I lived in the dorm. Of course I had my favorite jewelry with me. I always took it home on weekends, though. One week I was very sick. I was so sick I couldn't go home for several days, and when I finally was able to leave, I forgot to take my jewelry with me. One of my dorm-mates broke into my room and stole several items, including that ring.

I was so upset I threw up. I had envisioned this ring as my someday engagement ring, and passing it down to my someday children. I was terrified to tell my parents, and didn't until Christmas break. They took the news very well, though, although I punished myself mentally.

If only I had taken it home with me!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment