Welcome to Inspired Life! I am a mother, but this is not a "Mommyblog" by any means. Yes, I blog about my children (two girls, 12 years apart) but I also write as inspiration strikes me. Current events, women's issues, randomness, sometimes silliness.
Why the name Inspired Life? When I decided to move my writing to an independent blog from another website, I was searching for a name. I looked back on a recent post I had written and that phrase kept coming back to me. It reminds me daily of who I am and what inspires me. That tends to disappear in the daily life of work responsibilities, household responsibilities, and wife and mother responsibilities. With the reminder, I don't let responsibilities to myself get lost along the way.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Guessing games

Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Do you like to try to guess your gifts ahead of time?


Oh, who am I kidding? Of course I try to guess! I'm dying to know! At the same time, though, I always hope I'm wrong because I hate knowing what I'm going to get. I like the surprise!

*****************************

We put up our Christmas tree on Sunday. We have an artificial tree, and Emma and I brought it in the house from our storage building and assembled it.
I knew we had a mouse in the building, because this summer we could hear it in there. We'd also see evidence here and there. I left it alone, though, because most things are in the plastic Rubbermaid tubs, and honestly I didn't want to have it crawl into our things to die and then smell. Ew.
Em saw some of the shredded-up paper and got excited: Can we put it in a cage and keep it? I told her no, because 1. it would die and 2. EW. She asked me what they ate, and I had to guess. Clothes? Boxes? No idea what else.
As we were putting the branches on our tree, we made a gruesome discovery: the mouse, mummified. How in the world it got into the tub with the tree, I have no idea! At least there was no damage. Emma was sad.
We also have our ornaments in tubs, except for a cardboard ornament storage box from my mother-in-law. It has 3 pull-out drawers, and is full of ornaments she gave us when she downsized a few years back. When I opened the middle drawer, I could answer Emma's question about what mice eat: acorns! I found the nest. Luckily none of the ornaments were disturbed at all, but I can't say the same for the tissue paper they were wrapped in.

1 comment: