Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Guessing games

Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Do you like to try to guess your gifts ahead of time?


Oh, who am I kidding? Of course I try to guess! I'm dying to know! At the same time, though, I always hope I'm wrong because I hate knowing what I'm going to get. I like the surprise!

*****************************

We put up our Christmas tree on Sunday. We have an artificial tree, and Emma and I brought it in the house from our storage building and assembled it.
I knew we had a mouse in the building, because this summer we could hear it in there. We'd also see evidence here and there. I left it alone, though, because most things are in the plastic Rubbermaid tubs, and honestly I didn't want to have it crawl into our things to die and then smell. Ew.
Em saw some of the shredded-up paper and got excited: Can we put it in a cage and keep it? I told her no, because 1. it would die and 2. EW. She asked me what they ate, and I had to guess. Clothes? Boxes? No idea what else.
As we were putting the branches on our tree, we made a gruesome discovery: the mouse, mummified. How in the world it got into the tub with the tree, I have no idea! At least there was no damage. Emma was sad.
We also have our ornaments in tubs, except for a cardboard ornament storage box from my mother-in-law. It has 3 pull-out drawers, and is full of ornaments she gave us when she downsized a few years back. When I opened the middle drawer, I could answer Emma's question about what mice eat: acorns! I found the nest. Luckily none of the ornaments were disturbed at all, but I can't say the same for the tissue paper they were wrapped in.

1 comment: