Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Songs that always make me happy

Don't worry, a "real" post is coming soon - I just need to do some more research. In the meantime, enjoy some great music!

1. Born this Way by Lady Gaga
Everyone is divided on Lady Gaga - either love her or hate her, it seems no one is lukewarm towards her. Personally, I love her. I realize many can't get past the costumes or performance to really hear the music, but I think they add to the whole overall experience. I haven't yet heard a Gaga song I didn't love.
This one, though, is at the top of my playlist right now. Never before has a song so succinctly summed up my outlook on life: God made each of us and loves us all, no matter our gender, race, financial status, or orientation. "I'm beautiful in my way/cause God makes no mistakes/I'm on the right track baby/I was born this way"

2. La Vie Boheme from Rent
This is one of my very favorite movies. I can watch it over and over and over again. I love so many of the songs, but this one is my absolute favorite from the movie. I often rewind this scene and watch it again, and it makes me want to get up and dance on a table every time I hear it.

3. Grace Kelly by Mika
Nothing deep here, no message - the song just makes me happy. I love it!

4. Melody by Kate Earl
A nice little glimpse inside my head... I think there is always some song in my head, even when I'm asleep.

5. They All Laughed from The Whole Nine Yards soundtrack
If you've seen the movie (my other very favorite movie), it's the song performed during the end credits. I just love this song. And when Sophie was a colicky newborn, before we found the dietary problem causing it, this song was one of the few that would calm her down at night.

6. Baby Got Back by Sir Mixalot
"Oh. My. God Becky look at her butt" Admit it. You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Who can listen to this song and not laugh and instantly be in a good mood? It is so un-PC, and so shallow, but unabashedly so. And if you grew up in the 90s, don't even pretend you don't know all the words.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it interesting how music can make us happy- sad- etc etc!! You've done a great job lining up these songs- and I laughed at your comments...this was a REAL post..what do you mean, "Don't worry a 'real' post is coming soon'!!

    ReplyDelete