Friday, May 6, 2011

My Mother's Day wish list

Guess what is this weekend? Mother's Day!
In case you haven't noticed the endless ads for flowers, candy, jewelry, clothing, and anything else "every mother will love!"

Just in case there is any confusion, here is a list of what I want for Mother's Day.

1. Sleep. I would love to be able to sleep in, and not wake up as soon as I hear my family's voices in the house. That is if I'm NOT the first one awake (which I usually am). Whenever I try to sleep in, and my family is letting me, as soon as they are up I'm instantly awake. I can't help it. I guess it's just a mom thing... Darn biology.

2. I want my house clean, and I don't want to have to do it myself. Or at least not all by myself. Sure, if I ask specifically for help with a specific task, I'll get help - eventually. But I want constant, active HELP. I have a to-do list as long as my arm, and I can't do it alone. But I try, and then I get stressed out and cranky.

3. I want a day of togetherness without TV, computer, or video games. I want to go to the park with the girls. I want to play board games or card games as a family. I want to just spend time together, enjoying each other.

4. I want someone else to decide what we're having for dinner, cook it, and clean up afterward. Even if everything is just hidden in the dishwasher, I don't want to see it!

What don't I want? Flowers, candy, jewelry... all the things advertisers say we must have. I have enough "stuff" to go around. But hassle-free, quality time with the family? Those memories are forever.

I do expect a card, though... Just saying. Doesn't even have to be storebought. In fact, handmade is better.

Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

  1. EXACTLY!!! <# so so true, I couldn't agree more.

    .. I'll still take candy though, I never turn down candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT post!!! Everything you want for Mother's Day is what I want...I would add that I want more hours in my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My same wishes. I would only add "no fighting" and "listening" the list. But let's not get TOO crazy. Not having to clean or cook would be enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sleep is always a good request for Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete