Friday, May 20, 2011

Atlanta creates a law against breastfeeding in public!

This angers me.

A new law in metro Atlanta will limit breast feeding in public.
On Monday night, Forest Park passed a public indecency ordinance to prevent public nudity. Previously, the city only had a public indecency ordinance that covered adult entertainment businesses.According to the law, no woman can breast feed anyone older than 2 years old in public. City manager John Parker called the law a proactive step.“It sets up a process whereby we can try to control nudity throughout the entire city," Parker said.
From WSBTV.com
Public indecency?  Control nudity? REALLY??



To keep from beginning to sound redundant, see the AAP/WHO breastfeeding information in this blog post.

I am glad that they have the upper age limit as 2 instead of 1, but seriously - why limit it at all? And why on earth use DECENCY as a reason? Breastfeeding is not even close to indecent!

Yes, these women are SO indecent, aren't they? So much nudity! Heaven forbid someone might see this!

I just don't understand why lawmakers keep trying to legislate breastfeeding. The laws are so backwards and unnecessary, too. Seriously, how often do you see a school-aged child nursing? I mean actually see it, not just a "someone told my friend who told me" story.  It's rare. And even if it was common, what business is it of yours? How do you know it's not a child with special nutritional needs? Sure, the mom can pump milk, but what if they were out somewhere in this hypothetical situation and her pump was broken? Or they were only going on a 10 minute errand but had car troubles and couldn't get back home? (It happens.  Trust me.)  It is becoming more and more common for American mothers to join the rest of the world and nurse up to age 3 or 4. And most children that age only do it at certain times - it is not their main source of nourishment so you're NOT going to see it often in public. But if the need arises, a mother should NEVER be punished for taking care of her child.

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I like the widgets you've used, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am appalled- flabbergasted- you get the picture- I cannot even believe this is happening, especially HERE in the USA of all places!!! What in the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me sad. I totally agree with you. Our country has got this decency thing all wrong. There is nothing wrong with nursing in public. I ran into the attitude sometimes in France, where I lived when my kids were small. Usually elder gentlemen who felt uneasy, and I could sense their disease, so would simply move to another room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine, I just saw your link on the blogathon list & so appreciated reading this post about extended breastfeeding. Several of my friends went to the nurse-in in Forest Park yesterday. I didn't attend, but showed my support by signing the petition against the ordinance and by writing a post about it too: http://mamahhh.com/2011/05/on-breastfeeding-a-toddler/

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I can't see a nipple its not obscene. I just don't like being forced to see strangers nipples. Honestly, not even mens, but esp not womens. Runways and fashion included.

    ReplyDelete