Wednesday, March 28, 2012

There's a metaphor in there somewhere.

Sophie is potty training.

I didn't start this process, other than having a potty for her to use. Her big sister wasn't really potty trained until she turned 3, so I wasn't in a hurry. I am a firm believer in the "they'll catch on when they're ready" method. However, a few of Sophie's friends at daycare are learning and she goes to the bathroom with them and actually uses the potty.

At home, not so much.

This is how it goes, wtihout fail. She says she has to go pee. "I pee!" I drop whatever I'm doing and rush her to the bathroom. Pants down, diaper or Pull-up down, on the potty. Maybe five seconds later: "I done." She asks to go, sits on the potty, wipes, flushes, and wants her hands washed every single time. The only thing she doesn't do? Actually go in the potty. Most of the time when she tells us, she's already gone. Occasionally she'll still be dry and I'll do everything I can to keep her on the seat, even playing an episode of SuperWhy on my phone and letting her sit and watch it. Still nothing.

But, even though I am 99% sure this will be the scenario, every time she says "I pee!" I jump up and run with her to the bathroom, hoping that this will finally be the time she actually goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment