Thursday, December 8, 2016

Annie

The guys were unusually well behaved this evening. I walked out of the bedroom, dressed and ready to go, and the place was quiet. No video games blasting, no brotherly arguing, no wrestling around, nothing. It was weird.

"Knox? Nash?" I called out, wandering around the house.
"In here, Sweets," Knox answered. I found them in Nash's room, looking a little too casual and not-up-to-anything to really be not up to anything. I'm not really dating twins, it just feels like it. Knox and I have been together for a few years now and living together for almost a year. Nash moved into our spare bedroom a while back after his brief mistake of a marriage ended. They're a package deal, anyway.

"What are you guys up to?" I asked. Nash's ears turned pink, a dead giveaway that they were hiding something. Knox gave him one of their Telepathy Twins looks and grabbed my hand, effectively pulling me out of the room.

"Nothing, Sweets, just work stuff. Are you ready? Let me grab my jacket and we'll go." Something was definitely up. "We have to get going if we're going to make our reservation."

"Bye, Nash. Don't have any wild parties while we're out," I said as we went out the door. Knox rolled his eyes at me. Nash was the calm, quieter twin. Knox wasn't exactly wild, but he was definitely more outgoing.

At the restaurant Knox couldn't stop fidgeting. He placed his napkin in his lap, then to the side, then back in his lap. His fork and knife were moved countless times. I finally had to grab his hand to stop his fingers from tapping against his water glass. "What is going on, Knox?" He straightened himself in his chair and clasped his hands together. "Nothing, Sweets. Everything is perfect." Just then our waiter appeared to take our orders.

After we ordered our meals, I took Knox's hand again. "Babe, something is going on. First you and Nash were acting strange at home, and now you're all fidgety and jumpy. It's not like you. Is something wrong? Are you sick?" All of a sudden I had an awful feeling in my stomach. "Oh god, do you have cancer? It's cancer, isn't it?"

Knox started laughing and shushed me. "No, Sweets, it's not cancer! Everyone at the surrounding tables will think it is now, though." I smacked his arm.
"Not funny, Knox! But something is seriously going on and you not telling me is freaking me out!"

He laced his fingers together behind his head and sat back in his chair. Now he was enjoying my discomfort. Asshole. I was reassured by this, though. He wouldn't do that if something was seriously wrong. I can play that game, though. I just won't react any more at all.

"Fine, you win. Nothing is wrong, everything is perfect, you don't have cancer, pass the pepper. No, really, pass the pepper please. It's on your side of the table." We ate our dinner, talking about our jobs, mutual friends, Nash and his latest dating disaster, and everything else that wasn't what was obviously on his mind. Soon the waiter came to clear our plates.

"Will you be having dessert tonight? We have some fantastic choices tonight."

As I was declining, Knox interrupted. "We'd love to hear the dessert options, thank you." I gave him a look but he ignored me, keeping his attention on the waiter.

The waiter handed me a dessert menu. "We have tiramisu, chocolate cheesecake, creme brulee, and a lovely strawberry sorbet with a fresh mint syrup swirl," he said.

"Or me," said Knox.

Startled, I looked over at him to see he'd gotten out of his chair and knelt next to me while I was looking at the menu. He held the most beautiful ring I'd ever seen. My breath caught as I looked in his eyes. This explained the fidgeting, for sure.

"Annie. Sweets. I can't imagine not having you in my life. You're as necessary to me as breathing and I promise to love you and treasure you forever. Will you marry me?"

Somehow I was kneeling on the floor with him. I had no memory of how I'd gotten there but I was. I threw my arms around his neck. "Of course I will, you idiot. I love you too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment