Monday, October 28, 2013

Respecting each other - is that the answer?

I fully support blaming the rapist and not shaming the victim. No is no, and men should be held responsible for not respecting that. I do NOT think that men cannot control their urges, nor that seeing a provocatively dressed woman will cause them to lose their minds and attack her like dogs chasing one in heat. Humans are separated from the rest of the animal kingdom by our intellect, and our ability to control ourselves.

However, having a teenage daughter makes me not so comfortable with the opposite extreme, either. Should women be able to walk around in however little clothing they choose without fear of getting raped? Absolutely. But should they?

I've been torn about this. But, I'm not just a feminist, I'm an equalitatist. Men should respect women enough to not rape, and women should respect men (and themselves) enough to expose their bodies so much. How respectful is it to dress up in ultra-sexy clothes, and parade around men basically saying "You can't have me?" It isn't at all.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. This is a tough one. I tend to still side with the woman on this. No matter how sexy she dresses it still doesn't excuse the rape. However, that being said, I think dressing that way does hurt the whole women's self-respect for their bodies. Don't make yourself an object of lust, respect yourself enough to know you don't need to do that no matter how empowered it makes you feel. Looks shouldn't empower you, your personality and intelligence should.

    ReplyDelete